Do you find it hard to start a conversation about climate change? Here are a couple of facts that may help break the ice. Did you know that:
- Renewables represented 21% of Australia’s total electricity generation in 2019.
- China has more than 400,000 electric buses, about 99% of the world’s total.
- In the last 30 years, the UK has grown its economy by 75% while cutting emissions by 43%.
- In Australia, in the last 30 years, energy emissions have increased by 48%.
- The European Union has decided to cut its emissions by at least 55 per cent by the end of this decade.
- Carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere for between 300 and 1,000 years.
- Climate Analytics points out that: When emissions from Australia’s current coal, oil and gas exports (3.6% of global total) are added to domestic emissions (1.4% of global total), Australia’s contribution to the global climate pollution footprint is already about 5%. That’s equivalent to Russia’s total greenhouse gas emissions, the world’s fifth-biggest carbon dioxide emitter.
However, Australia is also at the forefront of producing renewable energy at a massive scale:
- The Sun Cable solar farm in the Northern Territories will cover 150 square kilometres and require 22 million solar panels and a power line to supply electricity all the way to Singapore.
- The Oakajee Strategic Industrial Area (465km north of Perth) is planned to produce and export renewable hydrogen and will have up to 1,250MW of solar and 270MW of wind generation. (For comparison, WA’s largest coal power station generates about 854MW.)
- And the BIG ONE – The Asia Renewable Energy Hub in WA (wind and solar) will be built across 6,500 square kilometres in the Pilbara region and produce 15,000MW and up to 26,000MW in the long term.
We may have a huge climate problem, but we also have some fantastic climate solutions! Check out how climate relates to gender equality at ZontaSaysNOW.